While vascular lesions rarely pose a medical risk to the people that develop them, some people wish to have them removed for aesthetic reasons. Fortunately, our practice offers patients effective vascular treatments that can help improve the appearance of these lesions.
What are Vascular Lesions?
Vascular lesions are extremely common skin growths, occurring in about 40% of all children. While many types of vascular lesions develop before birth, others form later in life. These lesions can vary dramatically in the way they look and the locations where they form.
Some of the most common vascular lesions include:
- Port wine stains. These birthmarks resemble maroon wine spilled or splashed on the skin. They often change in size and texture over time.
- Facial vessels. Facial vessels are small, reddish capillaries that become visible on the face because of sun damage, vigorous scrubbing, or genetics.
- Hemangiomas. These growths are abnormal collections of blood vessels that usually develop before birth. They can form underneath the fatty layer of the skin or on its surface, and are usually burgundy or bright red in color.
- Venous lakes. These soft skin formations are often blue or purple in color and circular in shape. They most commonly develop on areas exposed to the sun, including the lips, face, and ears.
- Spider veins. Spider veins are small red, blue, or purple veins that form in a web-like shape beneath the skin. They usually develop on the legs.
How Can They be Treated?
While vascular lesions often pose little if not medical risk to the patients that have them, they can be a source of embarrassment and frustration. Fortunately, Fine Arts Skin and Laser Center offers our patients a comprehensive, simple, and effective way to improve the appearance of these vascular lesions or eliminate them altogether.
The Nordlys by Ellipse device uses both laser energy and selective waveband technology (SWT) to carefully target vascular lesions at their source. This device eliminates wavelengths that are unnecessary or harmful for the treatment of your particular vascular lesions and ensures that only healing, rejuvenating light interacts with your skin and inner tissues. This helps guarantee that patients are as comfortable as they can be during treatment and experience as little downtime as necessary.
Do you have any vascular lesions that you’d like examined or addressed? Contact Fine Arts Laser and Skin Center today to schedule a vascular treatment appointment.